Data Engineer required to join the Portfolio Underwriting team within an insurance client who have built a digital, algorithmically driven product which since launch 10 months ago is already generating hundreds of millions of US dollars. This role would focus on the build and enhancement of data driven products that support the provision of value-adding analytics and insight in respect of pricing, risk selection and portfolio management of insurance products. The ideal candidate will have proven experience developing industrialised data pipelines, possess strong knowledge of database/data lake systems and be comfortable with writing Python and SQL. This is a fantastic opportunity to work for an innovative Insurance company in an industry underserved by technology and to join an ambitious journey to fully leverage the data asset of the organisation.
- To design the Portfolio Underwriting data architecture
- To develop and maintain the core Portfolio Underwriting data system underlying the suite of analytical tools used by the Portfolio Underwriting team
- To build new and develop existing data models to ensure fitness for purpose and optimality of performance
- To investigate and lead resolution of emerging issues with underlying Portfolio Underwriting data systems and models as and when these arise
- To ensure all Portfolio Underwriting data systems and models are documented in line with business standards
- To investigate opportunities to extract data from non-standard sources (e.g., external, unstructured) as required to enhance pricing and portfolio management decisions for the business
- To integrate new data sources into the data library including structuring and validation.
- To support development of data visualisation initiatives including design, build and maintenance ensuring they meet business requirements and user needs.
- Identify opportunities to use data science/engineering techniques to extract value from internal/external data assets to enrich analytical capabilities
- Recommend ways to improve data efficiency and reliability
- Increase the degree of automation within the Portfolio Underwriting team’s data systems and tools
- To investigate new tools that would help the Portfolio Underwriting team store, structure and analyse data.
- Obtained a relevant, numerate, or technical degree with a good overall grade.
- Experience in deriving insight by analysing datasets
- To apply expert knowledge to deliver creative and pragmatic solutions to complex problems within data
- Ability to effectively communicate complex technical ideas to the wider business, particularly to those with non-data backgrounds
- Strong organisational credentials to help drive process improvements across the team
- Experience of working in the London and Lloyd’s insurance markets is desirable but not compulsory
- Experience in SQL and Python and/or R and/or PowerBI or similar tools
- The ability to design, implement and use database structures to ensure data is organised effectively across the environment using SQL, PowerPivot, Visual Studio etc.
- Capability to carry out Data quality and integrity checks
- Ability to write deliverables / reports in a clear, concise, and appropriate way and communicate them
- A passion for data and analytics and a good base knowledge of statistics
- To provide progress updates to management as required, engaging with management to agree priorities, scope, and timescales of tasks.
- To identify any obstacles to the delivery of tasks, problem solving using existing solutions and escalating any issues to management as required.
- To work with moderate guidance and direction, ensuring delivery of own work to meet deadlines
Cornwallis Elt is an Employment Agency & Employment Business and has been listed 3 times in The Sunday Times Virgin Fast Track 100 of the UK`s fastest growing private companies, as well as in the Recruitment International Top 250, Top 50 in IT and the Recruiter Fast 50 & Hot 100 reports.